Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Paragraph Style


I want to write letters to the girl whose work I reviewed in my creative writing workshop, as a way of coming to terms with the fact that we live in the borderlands (hi, Gloria Anzaldúa). I also want to write poems in order to detail how much I have grown as a person, thinker, activist. I guess then my goal is to help justify the pain I have gone through to myself, to help me be able to say that college was worth it. In terms of artwork I am still not sure what I want to draw. I can envision smaller, elaborate pieces in my mind's eye but I still don't know what I actually want to focus on in terms of subject matter. I was thinking that maybe I could draw the maturation of my racial identity throughout my college career? I don't know how I would conceptualize that in a visually representational format though. Maybe I could focus on the theme of "in between", drawing intersections where I am both lost and found as a person. Then my theme could be 'borderlands' and remain cohesive between both my written and visual works. Overall I think that my greatest development to focus on would be race, and how complex it has grown over the years as I have taken on new knowledge about both my place and my fluidity of position within a Western racial hierarchy. This is a rich topic, and could be addressed via documenting my responses to discussions/comments about race, my own discussions with my family and friends on my racial identity, and how I personally have struggled with seeking community in Latinx spaces as someone who just never quite feels like enough.

Yellow highlight is nominalizations, blue highlight is characters
Main characters: speaker (myself), race?

1. 2
2. The speaker (I), the speaker's race
3. The paragraph is a chained topic string, meant to explore the relation between the speaker and their race.

4. I want to write letters to the girl whose work I reviewed in my creative writing workshop, as a way of coming to terms with the fact that we live in the borderlands (as said by Gloria Anzaldúa). I also want to write poems in order to detail how much I have grown as a person, thinker and activist who lives in these borderlands both personally and geographically.  Logically then my goal is to help myself cope and justify the pain I have gone through, and thus be able to say that college was worth its troubles. In terms of conveying this concept through artwork artwork I am still unsure about what kinds of artistic subjects I can use I never order to effectively convey my message. My current line of thought is to draw how my racial identity matured throughout my college career through a chronological set of pieces increasing in complexity. This can be accomplished through a focus on the theme of "in between", drawing intersections where I am both lost and found as a person. Then my project theme could be 'borderlands' and remain cohesive between both my written and visual works. Overall I think that I should focus strongly on how my concept of race has developed, and how complex it has grown over the years as I have taken on new knowledge about both my place and my fluidity of position within a Western racial hierarchy. This is a rich topic, and could be addressed via documenting my responses to discussions/comments about race, my own discussions with my family and friends on my racial identity, and how I personally have struggled with seeking community in Latinx spaces as someone who just never quite feels like enough.

5. Everything is in the correct position.

6. (Rewritten) For my senior capstone project I wish to center my discussion on the topic of race, and how I have grown into a realization of my place within a Western racial hierarchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment