Monday, November 28, 2016

Audience Description Post

Open Letter
Primary Audience: Coronado Residents
Secondary Audience: Other hardcore party going students at UA
Tertiary Audience: UA Administration
Published: Daily Wildcat

1. The Coronado Residence hall consists of 85% white college students coming from a higher SES ranging in the ages of 16-19. They are all freshman at the University of Arizona. 75% of the residents are a part of Greek life. Majority of the residence hall identify with the Republican party. They are not diverse at all. In fact, the most diverse thing would be style of party dresses the females would wear each night because God forbid they wear the same outfit.

2.  My audience is stubborn, usually get what they want if they ask their parents for something (no financial constraints). They are most/all socialites. They haven’t been independent that much before coming to college.

3. We are close in age. We are all UA students. I live in the same building with them (I’m an RA there). I am mostly involved in the incidents they are involved in as well (I have to document those incidents). We all congregate in the lobby of the resident hall (I work there while they leave and come back). I am the one who they vent their problems to. I went through their rooms for drug searches and health and safety checks. We exchange conversation (calm or heated).  

4. I make school my #1 priority. My audience members make their social lives their priority. I am their RA. They are my residents. I abide by all residence life policies. They have little respect for them. They are freshman that are not absolutely sure of what they want to do for their careers (if they want to pursue a career). I am focused on a specific career plan. I usually learn from making a mistake once or twice. My audience members will repeat the same mistake because they usually don’t care about fixing the mistake.

5. I may be more rational/realistic when it comes to real world problems compared to majority of Coronado, but I’m supposed to be. I am their resource about how to navigate through their lives. However, they don’t like to take my advice. They don’t understand the extreme risks they are taking. They believe they are invincible, but they’re not. I think they’re rational enough to understand my argument. I know some might be pressured into hazing and stuff, so I can’t explicitly help with that if those activities are kept hidden. I just hope they would understand this message.

6. I don’t think they will absolutely give up their partying behavior. It is college and they should have fun, but my goal is to have them be safe about it. Show respect and abide by rules that are set in front of them. I think minimizing the craziness and focusing on their school work would be a good common ground.

7.  In my position, I am unable to condone any policy violation in terms of residence life. I can be a realist and focus my instructions/advice on what activities take place outside my domain. I can’t accept any argument they have about how my expectations for the Coronado residents aren’t reasonable. I can’t accept any argument about how they aren’t smart so they are allowed to party. I can’t accept any argument that their behavior isn’t their choice. It’s always their “choice”1.

8. I think they audience needs to hear objections right off the bat. They need to know I understand where they are coming from and what I already know. My audience is rather snobby so I feel if they get an idea in their head that I don’t know what I’m talking about then they won’t listen as much. They very well might be upset and frustrated about what I write, but if I can save just one person then I would find satisfaction.






1 I have my own hypotheses about whether we have free choice. However, I believe that my audience should see more utility in the long run if they accept my argument and practice my advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment