Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Topic Exploration

What was the protest? If it was part of a larger movement, where are you drawing the boundaries (geographical, chronological, legislative, etc.) around your project?
-MLK, African-American Civil Rights Movement. I am drawing the boundaries right when it ended in 1968 or more when Blacks were officially free to do as everyone else did in the US.
Why do you believe that this identity is tied to this protest in a significant way? For whom is this tie significant?
-I believe MLK's identity is tied to this protest because without Him, I don't think we would have any civil rights/free will today to do anything in the US. Racism and discrimination would still be as raw as it used to be back then. MLK revolutionized the civil rights movement and served as a voice and an image for everyone who was racially discriminated, specifically african americans. This ties significantly to african americans but overall, to whomever faces racial injustice can relate. MLK is an icon of the civil rights movement. His life and work symbolize the quest for equality and nondiscrimination that lies at the heart of the American and human dream.
How did the group you’re looking at participate in the protest?
-This individual participated in numerous non-violent protests and even led the majority of them.
When you think about this project, what are you worried or concerned about? Do your worries have anything to do specifically with whether you can tie your identity to the protest clearly? Are there questions that you think it will be hard to answer? Do you have methodological concerns? What part of this project do you think will be the most difficult for you?
-Yes, I am a little bit worried/concerned that I will be able to tie my identity to the protest clearly and then back it up with so much evidence. I feel this part will probably be the most difficult for me because I do not know how to tie it in and make it sound good. The research part I can do such as finding evidence, backing up statements, etc. It is the bringing it all together part that kind of gets me. Obviously we all know MLK was huge and he revolutionized the civil rights movement, but how do I tie an identity to him and to the protest? Shouldn't be too hard for me, once I get the ball rolling, I'll be able to successfully get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment